Spring has sprung! With their sunny color and cheery disposition, March is the month of the daffodil. In Portland, it’s not uncommon to see daffodils everywhere from front yard gardens to highway intersections. If you’re looking for a way to incorporate these flowers into your daily activities, why not share some trivia? Here are 5 things you may not have known about daffodils!
- Daffodils are called Lent lilies in England
- Giving a gift of daffodils is said to ensure happiness to the recipient
- There are over 25 different daffodil species and over 13,000 different hybrids.
- Daffodils have toxic sap. Place the daffodils in a separate vase for a few hours (change the water at least once) before adding them to a bouquet.
- Every year the Daffodil festival takes place in Pierce County, Washington including a grand floral parade.